Are you aware of the advantage of spot welding? If you are a spot welder user, you will know the advantage and disadvantages of a spot welder.
In this discussion, you will know the unknown question about the spot welder.
Now we will know the definition of a welding machine. In this case, a welding machine is an electric device used in joining materials.
There are different welding machine. The functions of these welding machines are different. But they have a common function overall.
We all know the function of a welding machine. The welding machine produces heat by consuming energy. As a result, the heat helps to melt the material and join it together. After removing heat, it will transform into fixed parts and have enough resistance.
What is a spot welder?
We can define the spot welding machine as a resistance spot welder. In this case, the spot welding machine used to connect two or more metal parts. But there should be applied heat treatment to perform welding points. Moreover, there applied pressure to get the final result.
In terms of a spot welding machines, the pressure occurs after the melting. In this case, there occur a different types of spot welding machine. There are three types of the heat treatment process. They are:
In this case, the spot welding machine used stainless steel, titanium, and nickel alloy parts. The aluminum has a lower thermal conductivity and resistance point. So, these materials can be possible to join together.
Which metals can’t be possible by using a spot welding machine?
We will know the metals which come to the function of welding performance. In this case, most of metal parts are ready to spot welding. But Zinc, lead, silver, and copper are the exceptions. Yet the metal parts are not possible to perform welding functions.
Applications of spot welding
We will know the applications of spot welding machines. You know that spot welder uses for different purposes. In terms of industrial purposes, the spot welder is essential equipment. The applications are:
- Metal furniture
- Building Construction
- Volume production
- Application of welding thin metal sheets
What are the spot welding benefits?
- In terms of spot welding, there will no need of filler material. But in welding, the filler materials are important as the joining metal parts.
- You can complete the spot welding performance faster than general welding.
- The spot welding process is semi-automatic or automatic.
Automotive spot welding
Automotive spot welding means the welding machine works automatically. In this case, you can’t create pressure or control the environment. Most of the spot welding machine is automatic, and the others are semi-automatic.
What are the advantages of a spot welding machine?
What are the advantages of a spot welding machine? The advantages are here:
- Don’t contain any filler material for joining.
- Labor skill is not affordable for this process.
- Spot welding is automatic or semi-automatic.
- It’s faster welding than any other welder process.
- Spot welding doesn’t depend on technicians or laborers.
- It’s a heavy production process.
- Spot welding requires less power supply. In this case, there remains less or no life-risking joining process.
What are the disadvantages of spot welding machines?
The spot welder has a lot of advantages. But some of the disadvantages of spot welding are here:
- In terms of spot welding, the initial cost is so high. So the operation is expensive and cost-effective.
- You can’t be welding lightweight metal parts through this process.
- Any type of coolant is not effective for this welding.
What are the different parts of spot welding?
There are different parts of a spot welding machine. But we can divide them into two parts. Some of them are major, and others are minor parts. Now we will discuss the major part of a spot welding machine. They are:
- Copper electrodes: These are parts for flowing current. In this case, they act as the conductor.
- Step-down transformer: The part of the spot welding machine helps to control the power. It controls the supply in the electrodes.
- Manual pedal: The pedals apply pressure to the metal parts to connect them.
- Coolant: Coolant is a part of spot welding used to cool the conductors. The operation will hold after the joining performance.
What a Spot welding machine is and how does it work?
The working procedure of spot welding is divided into 3 different steps. They are:
- For spot welding, the copper is higher resistive and less conductive. So the chosen metal part is copper. Then you will choose the workpiece for the operation. You will place the copper electrode between the workpiece.
- You will take the pedals to create forces between the workpiece. The force acts to close the metal parts.
- In this case, you will pass current into the electrode. It helps to melt the joining parts. As a result, you will get the optimum shape of the metal.
The final task is to use coolant. After completing the operation, you will use coolant to cool the heated electrode.
What are the advantages of spot welding over soldering?
In terms of soldering, spot welding uses lower electrical resistance and higher conductivity. For this reason, it makes the metal parts ideal for passing current. It is an energy-saving process.
What are the advantages of spot and seam welding?
The seam welding is perfect in terms of gas or liquid joints.
Through this process, you can produce cans, radiators, and steel drums. So the advantage of this process is that it makes watertight and airtight metal parts. In this case, it requires air leakage and water protection to do the best.
What is the main limitation of spot welding?
As a user or an owner, you will know the limitations of a spot welding machine. In this case, the spot welder can’t detect the thin materials. Moreover, it uses only for localized joining. So, the joining isn’t permanently strong.
The strength of the welding depends on force and temperature. You can’t apply the welding for any metal parts.
What is one of the advantages of resistance spot welding?
The resistance spot welder is a higher-skill worker than the others. In this case, the joining process is uniform.
Moreover, the welder is semi automatic or automatic. Most of the cases, both of them operations will occur.
You will know the advantages of spot welding. In this case, spot welding is essential in our daily life. Moreover, it is different from general welding. Because, spot welder requires less heat to complete the process.
The advantage of spot welding is it requires a heat convection process. When it comes to performing heat convection, it requires less heat. You can join most of the metal parts by welding.
From this discussion, you know information about a spot welding machine. You know the specifications of the spot welder machines.
I’m Sahadat Hossain. I am working as Assistant Professor at Joynagor Technical and BM College. Besides, I have one welding workshop business from 2013. And in 2018 I started blogging about welding accessories. I want to share my experience with using welding accessories. In this blog, all content is written by me.