When your car will damage for any reason, you will need repair car body. In this case you first need to know two things:
- Which welder is the best for car bodywork
- Which paint sprayer is the best for car bodywork
In this article we will help you to select your welder and paint sprayer gun to repair your car body.
Welding and Painting for bodywork
Damage to the body may be caused by extensive corrosion or may be the result of a severe accident. In this case, there are two ways to repair the car: replacing the body and digesting its damaged elements. The second option requires the use of special equipment. This article discusses the tools that can be used to cook and paint the car body, and the technologies for carrying out these works.
Professionals believe that a carbon dioxide semi-automatic machine that performs wire welding is best suited for welding the car body or best welder for car panels Also, an inverter can be used for the work under consideration.
It is not recommended to use a welding machine on an electrode. This is understandable:
- this tool is not able to create a high-quality seam when working with automotive metal;
- due to the large size of the equipment, it will be difficult to get to some hard-to-reach places during operation;
- there is a high probability of burning through the metal of the body when using an AC welding machine.
Therefore, welding tools on the electrode are not suitable for body repair. You can use them only for the simplest work, for example, it is possible to brew a burst frame with such a tool.
As for the inverter and the carbon dioxide semi-automatic, each of these options is characterized by specific features when used for welding the car body. However, in any case, in order to properly cook the body, it is necessary to have the appropriate skills and observe safety precautions.
In addition, it is important to properly organize the workplace by purchasing and arranging all the necessary equipment for work in advance and organizing sufficient lighting. It should be borne in mind that it is difficult to cook the car body alone, so it is better to find an assistant.
Carbon dioxide semi – automatic welding machine
It is considered the most affordable and versatile welding tool. Such equipment can be used to cook metal with a thickness of 0.8 to 6 mm. The carbon dioxide semi-automatic machine is suitable for performing such works:
- overcooking of thresholds and spars;
- patch holes;
- correcting dents.
This tool is most often used to cook car bodies with low durability, for example, VAZ models.
The principle of operation of the carbon dioxide semi-automatic is to supply carbon dioxide under pressure to the welding zone. At the same time, the air mixture is displaced, so the welding process is carried out in a carbon dioxide environment, which protects the metal from oxidation. During the welding process, the metal melts, firmly fastening the parts.
One of the advantages of a carbon dioxide semiautomatic device is that with this tool you can cook all types of metals, in particular non-ferrous ones, such as stainless steel and aluminum, only for this you need to replace carbon dioxide with argon.
To ensure the strength of the seams of the body, it is necessary to cook correctly, applying stitches 2 cm long with an interval of 5 cm. The disadvantage of the tool in question is considered stationary, due to its large mass and size, but this is not so important for body repairs, which are usually carried out in a service station or garage.
It is usually used to speed up welding work, this device uses high frequency currents (up to 2000 Hz). Its advantages include compact dimensions, high welding speed, the ability to work at low voltage in the network and ease of use, which allows even novice welders to cook the car body.
The disadvantages of the inverter are the high cost, sensitivity to dust, the inability to cook metal with a thickness of more than 3 mm.
Welding with your own hands
It is possible to cook the body yourself if you have initial skills, especially with the use of an inverter, which will reduce the cost of paying for skilled labor. However, we will have to get the appropriate equipment somewhere.
The best repair option in case of damage to the body is to replace it. But it is expensive, so welding is used to restore inexpensive cars that are characterized by low resistance to corrosion, therefore, the prevalence of the repair method in question is great. Next, welding with a carbon dioxide semi-automatic machine is considered.
Before starting work, it is necessary to prepare the sections of the car body to be welded. Preparation consists in the complete cleaning of the metal from paint, rust and dirt.
Then they proceed to the preparation of welding equipment for work.
First of all, they check the network for load capacity.
Next, the welding machine is charged with wire. To do this, remove the gas nozzle of the welding torch, unscrew its copper tip with a key, remove the pressure roller with a wire and set the polarity.
This parameter is determined by the type of wire used. In the case of using a flux wire, a plus is set on the clamp, a minus is set on the burner, and vice versa for ordinary wire.
After that, the end of the wire is wound 10-20 cm into the feed channel and a pressure roller is brought in to keep it from shedding. In this case, the wire should get into the hollow of the drive roller.
Upon completion of the described operations, the device is connected to the mains and a key is pressed on its handle, after which gas is supplied, then welding wire and current. At the same time, you need to put on the wire and twist the required copper tip and install the gas nozzle.
During bodywork, all parts are usually cooked, except for the front, since during operation it has minimal loads. Cars that do not comply with this rule require overcooking, first of all, the attachment points of the front “paws” to the cross beam.
In any case, it is necessary to weld the seams of the pallet, the racks and the rear part of the car body. The wings and hood are usually not processed.
It should be noted that the body has some weak points that are particularly susceptible to corrosion destruction, so these areas are most often brewed.
The bottom can be boiled on both sides, however, when working, it is necessary to observe the temperature regime. This will preserve the structure of the seams and neutralize the harmful effects of the welding machine on the material.
|Metal sheets with a thickness of 1.5-2 mm are usually used as patches for the bottom. Thinner metal is unreliable, and thicker metal is difficult to process.|
It is necessary to cut the material in compliance with optimal conditions in order to avoid deterioration of its properties. It is better to cook the bottom not alone, since the metal sheet needs to be positioned evenly, which is difficult to do alone.
Upon completion of the work, the edges of the welded metal sheet are ground and treated with primer or epoxy resin in order to ensure tightness. After the overcooking is completed, it is necessary to treat the seams with a primer.
At the same time, special attention is paid to the seams of the racks, the pallet and the rear part of the body.
Carbon dioxide semi-automatic machine can brew not only the body, but also the engine and muffler of the car. When working with the engine, it is necessary to use argon.
This allows you to cook metals such as cast iron, stainless and ordinary steel, aluminum, which make up most of the engine parts. The overcooking of the muffler is carried out like welding the bottom, that is, by applying a metal patch.
After complete your welding process, you will need to paint your car. You must need to know about painting process for your car good looking.
I will provide you to read my article properly and I believe that you will be able to paint your car properly. So, start reading article:
Preparing the car for painting
It is important not only to weld, but also paint the car. After the stage of collecting materials, you should proceed to thorough preparation of the car.
Painting the machine requires compliance with the preliminary stages:
- Welding must be done in the event of an accident or rupture of the perforated housing.
- Thorough washing. All dirt is washed off the machine.
- Elimination of the previous paintwork.
- Treatment of corrosion foci. With the help of a grinder, rust spots are treated, and sandpaper is used in hard-to-reach areas.
- Processing with automotive putty. Required for bodies with mechanical damage. After the putty stage, it is important to sand the surface.
- Degreasing the surface. When the car body is ready for painting, and the geometry is removed, it remains to treat the metal with a solvent to eliminate fat.
- Protection of body elements. All areas of the interior, seals and other parts of the body that should not be painted.
Painting a car with your own hands requires the creation of a perfectly smooth and smooth surface for a complete, beautiful finish layer. When the car is ready, prepare the room.
Car painting technology
Repair of paintwork differs depending on the number of painting elements and the depth of penetration:
- Local processing: Painting a separate part when corrosion, scratches or chips are detected is much faster and easier compared to processing the entire car;
- Painting with partial repair: Restoration is required in the presence of through holes in places of corrosion or in the case of small irregularities or dents;
- Complex work: Completely painting the car with the dismantling of elements is required to restore the appearance of the entire car or in the presence of large-scale problems with the paintwork.
Painting a car with your own hands mainly involves local surface coating, this helps to save time and materials. The method eliminates the need to remove body elements.
Before painting the car, the need for body repairs and the possibility of local processing is assessed. With the right approach, the coating of a separate area will provide a high-quality result, even a specialist will not distinguish the layer from the factory coating by eye.
The instruction of any coloring composition implies the need to apply 2-3 layers, between them it is important to wait for the drying of the material.
The primer is most often applied with a brush or best paint sprayer. Initially, the hood and roof of the car are processed, and then gradually descend to the lower parts of the doors and thresholds.
Priming is required to protect the base from corrosion and create a base for applying paint.
Even a budget type of paint requires applying a primer, and the quality of the composition depends on how often the body will have to be painted. The greatest influence of the primer is noted when painting with metallic, otherwise the body elements will not be painted qualitatively.
The primer is prepared step by step according to the instructions on the package or the manufacturer’s instructions.
The composition is filled into the spray gun, then the first layer is treated with it. It is important to treat the primer with sandpaper to create a matte effect and better adhesion of subsequent layers.
Often, after priming, places with defects that require the application of putty become noticeable. After eliminating all the problems on the body, the surface is re-treated. Usually 2 layers are enough, if the desired result could not be achieved, the coating is performed 3 times.
Applying the base paint
Experts highlight a number of tips on how to paint a car correctly:
- painting is carried out in 2-3 layers;
- the first application is carried out using the “fine mist” technology, a high pressure is set on the spray gun to maximize the division of the jet into small drops;
- places with smudges are eliminated with an abrasive and repainted;
- it is recommended to carry out several checks of the condition of the paintwork on the hood, and best of all the body;
- the application of the second layer is allowed only after the first one has dried, but it is made thicker by adjusting the spray gun.
Creating the perfect layer from the second time requires skills and experience, for an amateur it will take more cycles of stripping and coloring. Even professionals do not always manage to cover immediately.
Varnishing and polishing
Creating an attractive appearance after coating with base paint is not a complete procedure, since varnish is applied on top of it. They cover the bodies in 2 layers to create a better look and protect the paint from damage. Transparent composition is more difficult to align, because irregularities and errors are poorly visible, you have to check the result by touch.
After the crystallization of the varnish, it is better to polish the paintwork, then the machine will get a complete look. Abrasive paper with fine grain is used to perform the procedure. Manually or with the help of grinding equipment, the coating is brought to a glossy state. In the polishing process, a special paste is used.
Tips and tricks on how to paint a car yourself
It is not always possible to paint a car with your own hand right away, since experience plays an important role. Professional painters highlight some additional tips:
- the painting of the car is carried out only after careful processing of the body;
- body repair and car painting are interrelated concepts, without preliminary repairs, paint will not be able to hide flaws and defects on the details;
- a worthy replacement for auto enamel is rubber paint for cars, which prevents mechanical damage and is resistant to moisture penetration. It is a relatively new direction, but it is gaining momentum;
- it is important to choose the right degreaser for cars;
- polishing paste comes with different characteristics: removes scratches of various depths, is used for plastic, metal or rubber, is used for aluminum or metal bodies, etc. When choosing, you should take into account all the features of the composition, then you will be able to create the best kind of car;
- the ideal and attractive look is formed from many parts: interior design, body paint quality, type and condition of the discs. The easiest way to restore the exterior of a car in addition to painting the body is to paint the wheels.
The painting procedure requires experience, otherwise it will be somewhat delayed, but even beginners are able to create a high-quality paintwork with the proper level of accuracy and with careful preparation.
I publish this article for you to improve your knowledge for weld and painting a car. For any kind of query for your mind please inform me. Thanks for visit my site and read my article.